Date:      Fri, 04 May 2012 15:11:10 -0400
From:      "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ways to promote FreeBSD?

*WHY* is Linux so much more popular than the BSDs?

GPL vs BSDL ? (Create a GPLed BSD and see if it takes off.)

the obese cartoon penguin?

Do most people actually prefer the lower quality product?
Popularity is inversly proportional to quality in many
areas, not just OSes.

marketing?

Is there something that Linux does better than the BSDs,
that many people care about?

----------

Is there a list somewhere of companies/organizations that
contribute to FreeBSD? A list of those that freeload
(Use FreeBSD as part of their product but do not contribute
back.)? Do we need to recrute a diplomatic fund raiser
person to shake the bushes?

Are the resources we do have being used as effectively as possible?
Looks to me like funds are being spent on things that would likely
happen anyway (because they are "fun", would result in a paper, or
are commercially useful), while things that need doing but aren't
always fun (such as fixing PRs) don't get funding and never get done.