Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 20:38:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which tools can back up inodes with 32bit minor numbers ?

As Bill Paul wrote:

> > Well, as i wrote, the existing static /dev is about to be killed
> > anytime soon.  MAKEDEV as well -- shouldn't you have it already
> > noticed.
>
> Wrong.
>
> The existing /dev and MAKEDEV are _not_ going away any time soon.

You cannot generalize this case.  If they won't go away for _you_, so
that's your problem.  I think there's consensus that they won't
survive the end of the century for most other FreeBSD users.

> Sun already burned me with their "we're giving you these new features
> whether you like them or not" attitude.

It's not really a new feature, and i've seen devfs-based systems
(DG/UX, as i've already mentioned) where it took me about a year or so
to realize that they are actually using such a thing.  (Ok, my degree
of Unix experience wasn't that high back in the old days.)  It fit
smothelessly into the entire environment.

The static /dev tree has been a misconception in the first place,
since it always tends to disagree between the actual device
configuration and the existing device nodes.  You know as well as me
that this is a fatal discrepancy, either direction.  Also, it requires
a central authority to give out major device numbers, even for locally
maintained drivers.

This is not to say that we don't need a good methodology to allow for
all kinds of valid requirements, e.g. some sort of ``persistency''.
Anyway, i doubt people who are crying ``I wanna get my V7 back in
FreeBSD-current!'' will influence the overall decision too much. ;-)

(Funny, you didn't oppose to the merged VM/buffer cache changes, and
that's far more into the direction of "we're giving you these new
features...".)

> Getting back to the subject at hand, dump and restore are
> supposed to preserve _everything_, ...

Nobody ever claimed the opposite.  You're running into open doors
here.

>  Ideally, tar and cpio
> should too. If they don't, they should be made to, but only if their
> archive formats allow it without breaking compatibility with all the

They don't allow it (except for the newer cpio formats, but we support
this, but^2 quite a bunch of other systems don't).

> other tar and cpio implementations on the planet. If dump and restore
> aren't doing it, they are broken and need to be fixed. DEVFS doesn't
> enter into it.

Devfs is not intended as a replacement for a broken backup tool.  You
must be confusing this some way.

Having said this, remember: that's just my very personal opinion.
It's in no way related to other people, neither of the FreeBSD core
team or else.  With the current buggy state of affairs, it doesn't
look like a mandatory devfs would already happen next week...

--
cheers, J"org