Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:47:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        tmoestl@gmx.net, cuk@cuk.nu, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH REVIEW Re: bug in bridging/dummynet code - PR kern/19551

  I built a kernel with bridging + dummynet + ipfw and tested the diff. It
  seems to be fine on my end, although I haven't gotten further feedback
  from Marko.

  I've committed the fix to -CURRENT. I will wait a couple of days and MFC.
  I'll close two of the three PRs now (because they directly relate to this
  problem) and will leave the third one (already assigned to me) to close
  in the couple of days, after I MFC this and another dummynet+bridging
  related fix that went into -CURRENT about a month ago.

  Once again, thanks Thomas. Thank you Luigi for the input!

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> >   	Thomas, I have looked at and reviewed your patch, and have added one
> >   hunk to bridge.c, please take a look at the "almost ready for commit"
> >   version here:
> >
> >   http://people.FreeBSD.org/~bmilekic/dumbridge.diff
>
> sounds ok to me (modulo testing).
>
> >   	Basically, I don't like the fact that we have to copy the ethernet
> >   header back into the mbuf for dummynet in bdg_forward(), especially since
> >   we just removed it before calling bdg_forward(). But, this is no fault of
>
> this was also part of my criticism to the original changes.
> I posted a suggestion for keeping the ethernet header together with
> the mbuf when calling ether_input() (in case, define a new function
> ether_input2() if backward compatibility was a concern) to avoid
> the need for M_PREPEND, and also (probably) to save some code in
> the in the individual drivers where the ethernet splitting is
> replicated and could be centralized in ether_input2().
>
> But this is some change that now would require a lot of work
> in touching the individual drivers.
>
> thanks Bosko and Thomas for your work
>
> 	cheers
> 	luigi