Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:42:42 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Paul Marquis <pmarquis@pobox.com>
Cc:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STLPORT and gcc3 (openoffice porting)

Paul Marquis wrote:
> Since the port of STLport is designed as a drop in replacement for
> the system STL, I've always used the -nostdinc++ option in my
> projects so that gcc won't even look at the default header files.
> This option should be used when building the port itself.  As the
> STLport maintainer, I should have specified that.  :-(

From bsd.prog.mk:
.if defined(DESTDIR) && !defined(BOOTSTRAPPING)
CFLAGS+= -I${DESTDIR}/usr/include
CXXINCLUDES+= -I${DESTDIR}/usr/include/g++
.endif

That option does not good, if you set DESTDIR and use the BSD
.mk file system, which will put it right back in the options
list for the program being built.

You really do have to hack up the Makefile to list the port
compiler include path first, or this overrides it.

The typical way I do this for the includes is to redefine
the compiler to have a "-I/usr/local/<where ever>" as part
of the command itself.  It's generally harmless, otherwise.

Otherwise... don't set "DESTDIR", or explicitly set
"BOOTSTRAPPING".  Both of these have side effects that
are harder to control than jamming the include path into
the compiler command.

-- Terry