Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:52:54 -0700
From:      "Guerry Semones" <gsemones@treenleaf.com>
To:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need info for compiling JDK1.3.1 on FreeBSD with Native Threads

Thanks, but....

As much as I appreciate the on-going discussion about where what I
am trying to do with JNI is doable and legal (it is and it is -
its part of the JNI design as several have pointed out), the
purpose of my post was to:

***Find out pointers on getting a native threads build of JDK1.3.1
on FreeBSD.***  I'm currently using the distribution stuff
(/usr/ports/java/jdk13 with the latest patches and the JDK source
in /usr/ports/distfiles, etc.).  I was trying to do a "make
extract", and then edit the work/j2sdk1.3.1/make/common/Defs-
bsd.gmk's HPIS variable to "native" rather than "green", but the
BUILD file leads me to think I need to compile with green first,
and then change the variable and compile with native.

I also tried setting everying up outside /usr/ports and running
gmake from there.  However, I got compile issues there that don't
arise in doing it form /usr/ports on the same machine.  Sigh.  I'm
really looking forward to a binary distro, since these steps are
all secondary to my real deadline....  :-)

I'm working at getting the HPIS setting to work for me.  It seems,
from what I've been able to dredge up, that this is what I need to
do with a successful build of native threads.  And I do realize
that the native thread stuff is a work in progress.

***ANY POINTERS along the path to compiling native threads would
be greatly appreciated, since, as Joe Kelsey pointed out in a
related thread, if we are using pthreads (which we are), then we
must use native threads in the JDK.

Again, thanks for all the discussion.  I'd be glad to share a
sample JNI program later that shows the JVM being invoked and used
from within C++ code.  It is designed to work this way on all Java
JNI-enabled systems (which I think is all, because I think JNI is
central, core tech to the JVM stuff?).

Thanks again,

Guerry

Sent via the Mstar2 mail system at mail.mstar2.net