Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 15:55:36 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        randal@comtest.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Embeded applications?

> > You can use the normal boot1/boot2 bootloaders, as they have enough FFS
> > support internally to read the kernel.
>
> I don't understand, do you mean that you can use FFS on a BIOS-only flash ?
> So boot1/boot2 will only make BIOS calls to access FFS on flash?
> If so then all I need to do is copy the boot image(with kernel/mfs and FFS)
> to flash?

boot1/boot2 have no internal disk drive support - they depend entirely
on the BIOS to read the disk from which they are trying to boot.

So yes, all you need to do is duplicate the boot image on the flash
disk.

> Yes, although I have 8MB Flash memory to play with.

In this case, you might want to consider writing a driver that knows
how to talk directly to the flash.  This would let you use the parts of
the flash that aren't holding the boot image to store parameter
information.

> BTW, Mike the PC/104 board that I am using is from Mesa Electronics
> 4c27 which is using the Crystal CS8900 ethernet chip.  Do you know if
> anyone is working on a driver for this chip?

Yes, I have a driver here waiting for me to obtain a suitable IBM
ethernet card for testing.  It's designed for the IBM Etherjet cards,
but it should work Just Fine.

Let me know if/when you want it, and I'll put it up for fetching.  I
hope to have the hardware involved next week.