Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:36:25 -0500
From:      gkaplan <gkaplan@castle.net>
To:        FBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   boot from a different slice

I have two different fbsd systems (  specifically 2.2.8 - eide primary
master slice 3,  and 3.3.2 - primary slave slice 2 ) where I attempted
to boot 2.2.8 form the copy of the 3.3.2 loader. Using partition magic -
boot manager I started the boot sequence for 3.3.2. If I waited for the
twirling baton to appear before hitting a key (other than the [Enter] )
I received a prompt ( i.e., disk3s2a> ) . Nothing I tried from the above
prompt succeeded in booting 2.2.8.  By hitting a non-[Enter] key before
the twirling baton I received a different prompt ( i.e.,
-------------------------------
>> FreeBSD/i386 Boot
Default: 1wd(1,a)/boot/loader
boot:
-------------------------------
After some experimentation I entered in response to the boot prompt  the
following: 0:wd(0,3,a)kernel.save .
"kernel.save" just happens to be the name of the kernel. Lo and behold !
2.2.8 booted.
I am left with the following problems:

1) I can not find a clear statement of the procedure for booting from an
alternate slice.
2) I can not find a clear statement of the definition of the parameters
that should be supplied to the boot: prompt.
3) After booting 2.2.8 I had only limited access to the 3.3.2 slice .
All the mount commands that I thought to try failed
except : mount /dev/wd1s2 /mnt
this mounted the root directory, that is wd1s2a  I could not mount
wd1s2e or wd1s2f - these partitions are as defined by the defaults in
sysinstall.

Please cc: my address if you reply to this message.