Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:20:57 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared files within a jail

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Hans Zaunere wrote:

HZ> After much searching and contemplation, I've decided to ask the
HZ> question directly:
HZ>
HZ> I'm implementing a jail server, which will provide a very limited set
HZ> of resources (Apache/MySQL/PHP).  Setup is going well, however I've run
HZ> into a little snag that I hope can be worked out.
HZ>
HZ> I want to allow the users the ability to compile and use their own
HZ> instances of Apache and MySQL from within the jail.  But instead of
HZ> duplicating the basic system libs and bins, I'd like to maintain a
HZ> single repository of this, which can then be read-only from within the
HZ> jail.  Options:
HZ>
HZ> -- Symlinks won't work because of the chroot.
HZ> -- Mounts from within the jail aren't allowed, plus a single partition
HZ> can't be mounted multiple times, AFAIK.
HZ> -- I don't have NFS setup, and I would like to avoid it as much as
HZ> possible.
HZ> -- mount_null seems to be the answer, however the warning at the end of
HZ> the man page is scary.
HZ>
HZ> Is there any combination of these (or anything I'm forgetting) that
HZ> could help me here?  Is mount_null stable?
HZ>
HZ> I've had an account on a jail server which had /shared visible within
HZ> the jail, and symlinks to /bin, /usr/lib and such.  I'm not sure how
HZ> this was actually implemented, and I'd be interested if anyone has seen
HZ> or heard of any solutions to this type of problem.

I did multiple sets of

null:/shared/J/usr /J/jailNN/usr
procfs             /J/jailNN/proc
mfs:48k            /J/jailNN/dev

with a bit of tweaking such as:
 /bin and /sbin moved to ${JHOME}/usr/Rbin and /Rsbin and symlinked,
 /usr/home and /usr/local have moved out to jail home and symlinked

for standard jail there as also useful mount such as

null:/shared/J/local /J/jailNN/local

... and it at least seems workable for some ten to twenty jails on a moderately
powerful (1g5 Athlon with 512M of memory) machine. All jails are rather
lightweight (have only Apaches/PHP besides base system) though.

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]