Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 09:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directories disappearing with CVSUP, -stable, and SOFTUPDATE

Last night I tried some experiments in an attempt to duplicate the
problem that's been discussed in this thread.  (Namely: CVSup in
checkout mode replaced a symlink-to-directory with a real directory.)
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it happen.  I also inspected the
relevant code, and couldn't see an obvious way for it to happen.

So I have several questions for those who have experienced this
problem:

1. Was NFS involved in any way?

2. Please bracket the date when it happened as tightly as possible.
I.e., definitely after XX date, but definitely before YY date.

3. If anybody has the log output from the offending run, that would
really help.

4. You didn't fiddle with that symlink around that time, did you?

Thanks,
John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong