Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:09:53 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        "Luchesar V. ILIEV" <luchesar.iliev@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ZFS] Using SSD with partitions

On Oct 16, 2011, at 21:02 , Luchesar V. ILIEV wrote:

> On 16/10/2011 19:17, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
>> Therefore, with ZFS v28, adding ZIL does not introduce any more risk
>> to your data.
>=20
> I might be wrong in my interpretation, but from what I remember, when
> the power goes down, an unprotected SSD is likely to lose _more_ data
> than simply its write buffers -- that's quite unlike a hard-drive. So
> much, in fact, that the whole ZIL might become corrupted (and that's
> potentially way more data than any device cache).

The real risk with low-grade "unprotected" SSDs is that the SSD may well =
become damaged, sometimes beyond repair.

It is the same risk with SSDs or with magnetic drives. If the drive lies =
to the OS that it has safely written data -- then data will be lost. =
Thing is, we know what a cheap HDD is. Most SSDs however lie, because =
otherwise they will offer very poor write performance.

ZIL is not about RAM. ZIL is for low latency synchronous writing. It =
does not matter how much RAM do you have -- it will not help if you have =
heavy synchronous writing (of small records). =20

Anyway, as it was mentioned -- with moderate activity on the pool, it is =
not problem to use the same SSD for boot/ZIL/L2ARC.

Daniel=