Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:00:38 +0200
From:      Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation of big "mail systems"?

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:20:51PM +0200,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote
 a message of 22 lines which said:

> I'm currently writing a proposal for a webmail service for, say, 50
> 000 to 500 000 users. I'm looking for description of existing "big
> mail" systems, using technologies like scalemail
> (http://scalemail.sourceforge.net/), specially with an emphasis on
> the storage subsystem for the servers (my weak point, I don't really
> have enough experience with SAN, NAS, and so on).

Here is a first bibliography (XML and BibTex). Thanks for all those
who replied.

It is funny to note that the storage is hardly discussed in the
papers. It's probably less fun than LDAP and Postfix but I believe it
is more critical.

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

% DO NOT EDIT!
% Automatically produced by libxslt (http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/)

@MISC{cambridge.doc,
    author = {David Carter},
    title = {Scaling up Cambridge University's email service},
    year = 2004,
    note = {\url{http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/paper.html}},
  }

@MISC{outblaze.doc,

    author = {Suresh Ramasubramanian},
    title = {Managing Millions Of Mailboxes. Capacity and Performance Lessons},
    year = 2004,
    note = {\url{http://www.hserus.net/mailboxes-srs-inboxevent2004.ppt}},
  }

@MISC{earthlink.doc,

    author = {Nick Christenson},
    author = {Tim Bosserman},
    author = {David Beckemeyer},
    title = {A Highly Scalable Electronic Mail Service Using Open Systems},
    year = 1997,
    note = {\url{http://www.gangofone.com/~npc/doc/mail_arch.html}},
  }

@MISC{exim.doc,

    author = {Yann Golanski},
    title = {The Exim Mail Transfer Agent in a Large Scale Deployment},
    year = 2000,
    note = {\url{http://www.nndg.york.ac.uk/staff/yann/lsm.ps}},
  }

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--