Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 05:59:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      carlo@vis.ethz.ch (Carlo Dapor)
To:        carlo@vis.ethz.ch (Carlo Dapor)
Cc:        glewis@eyesbeyond.com (Greg Lewis), stuartb@abs.karoo.co.uk (Stu Brown), freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting JDK1.2.2 to OpenBSD

Responding to my own posting, I feel a little embarassed to reveal this.

It turns out that if You invoke gmake in the directory, the behaviour is slightly
different than using the '-C' option.

However, I have been able to run the complete build in the end.

Now, I use
	gmake LINK.c=gcc LINK.cc=g++
only.  There are two hick-ups, though. For some weird reason, the file
invokers.c never gets build.  I remember that I never was able to have it gene-
rated through the Linux binaries, not even with jdk 1.2.2.  I cheat by compiling
InvokerGen.java, run java InvokerGen < invokers.txt > invokers.c with the native
BSD (1.2.2) binaries ; and when I successfully built everything, I re-generate
invokers.c, only this time with the brand-new binaries.
No difference between the two, not even their md5 checksums.

The second hickup is the fact that some libraries (X11, verify, dps, etc) are
not found.
Here the solution was to symbolically link the offending libs into
$LIBj/classic, since this directory is referred to in link-edit steps every-
where.  Not a clean way, but it works for now.

Thank You, Greg and Bill, and all the others.
The BSD world is coming back to the top.

Ciao, derweil,
--
Carlo