Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 01:31:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
To:        stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles compiling kernel with GUS support.

Stan Brown wrote...
> 	I have purchased a Gravs Ultrasound card, and am trying to get it
> 	working under FreeBSD. I downlaoded the guspnp6.tar.gz file unpacked it
> 	and edited the config file. Then I tried to compile a new kernel.
> 	Unfortunately I got the error "Can;t find include file midi_synth.h"

> 	This is strange because there is such a file in
> 	/sys/config/i386/isa/sound. Could this be an include path probelm?

	Edit /sys/i386/isa/sound/midi_synth.c and change this line:

#include "midi_synth.h"

	To look like this:

#include <i386/isa/sound/midi_synth.h>

	It worked for me.

> 	I am curiosu as to why the instructions say to work from /sys,when I
> 	usally build a kernel from /usr/src/sys.

	/sys is generally a link to /usr/src/sys.  It's probably there
because of tradition, although there may be a good reason behind it.
(someone please enlighten me if there is)

> 	One more question their is some mention in the notes about needing to
> 	have more than standrad on card memory on the GUS. Is this required?
> 	If so how much do I need? Also can I use 70NS 30 pins SIMS that I have
> 	left over? Or do I have to but 60NS units.

	According to the information I got with my PnP Pro, you should use
70ns or faster 30 pin SIMMS.

Hope this helps,

Ken
--