Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 99 09:08:04
From:      "Thomas Widlundh" <tw@ettnet.se>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   vi and characters

Hi,
I have a little question I hope someone can give me a hand with...

I have a Linux box, Caldera. The installation was very automated. Vi installed, of course. And vi worked
right out with the swedish characters å, ä and ö.

On another box I have FreeBSD 3.1. I'm learning it slowly. I did manage to get these swedish characters to
work in the console and xterm. I'm using AfterStep.
But these swedish characters don't work in vi. There are instead characters like \xe5, \xd6 and so on.
Other characters belonging to the swedish/finnish keyboard are working, like \ [ ] ~ etc.
I've searched in months for a way to change this, but failed.
If anybody have an answer, I would appreciate it very much.

Thomas