Date:      Fri, 12 May 2006 10:15:10 -0700
From:      jeff.cross@averageadmins.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jeff.cross@averageadmins.com
Subject:   Upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1

This has possibly been discussed a number of times, and if it has, I =20
apologize.  Here is my situation:

I would like to upgrade my existing 6.0-SECURITY system to 6.1-RELEASE =20
and continue using freebsd-update to keep my system on the up and up.  =20
I read through the upgrade instructions on disk #1 of the 6.1 release =20
CD and wondered if that would be the easiest way to upgrade?

 From what I read, all of the configuration files for 6.1 would be in =20
the /etc/upgrade folder.  Would they have to stay there?  Would 6.1, =20
from this point forward, always have the /etc folder in /etc/upgrade?  =20
Do I copy new pieces back to /etc for the production system?  I read =20
about merging but does it merge from /etc to /etc/upgrade?

Is another scenario to do the cvsup method and go that route?  If I =20
did, would I be able to use freebsd-update from that point forward or =20
would I be limited to only using the cvsup method?

I know both require merging config files and what not, which makes me =20
a little nervous, but I would like the easiest method available.  I =20
love using FreeBSD and use it primarily on my laptop so compiling the =20
entire OS on there may take a while so obviously the binary upgrade =20
looks good.  I am just unsure about the /etc/upgrade folder and how I =20
get all of that back to /etc.

I am somewhat a "noobert" in FreeBSD... I have been using it for less =20
than a year and really enjoy it over my past Linux experiences.  =20
However, things like this make me nervous.  This is my first upgrade =20
of a machine I use *all* the time.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Cross
http://www.averageadmins.com/