Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 01:29:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Posting prefix

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> mpeg2 now thats another cool idea with the advent of writable dvds
> a project to support mpeg2 will be most cool . The missing link
> right now is a cheap mpeg2 hardware codec --- anyone got a lead?

I haven't found cheap mpeg2 (and I've been looking), but mpeg1 encoders
seem to be getting cheap(er) at last.

http://www.mpeg.co.uk/  quotes a hardware mpeg1 encoder for GBP400 ($650)

http://www.visiblelight.com/mall/espresso/index.htp  another one at $595

http://vitechts.com/dev.htm  quotes chips in OEM quantities at $50.

There's a list of assorted products at:

http://www.visiblelight.com/mpeg/products/p_enc.htm

There's also the Digital 21230 chip; I believe there are a number of products
around using this, but I seem to have lost references to them.

My dream device is a box that continuously records all channels
(with about 24hrs memory) so that I never miss a programme and
don't have to bother remembering to set the VCR!
Since we have only 4 channels here, the hardware is just approaching
a price at which this becomes plausible (and when we get more channels
in a couple of years' time with digital transmission, they will arrive
already MPEG encoded anyhow).