Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:21:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Working Firewall in halt mode??

<quote who="Lord Raiden">
> 	I saw the following article today listed on Slashdot and found
> 	this
> interesting.
>
> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm

i saw this too and couldn't help but think why that
would have any advantage over a bridged firewall. with
a bridged firewall your running IP-less, so nothing can
connect to it. and you get the benefits of a functional system
(console to serial port? and/or disable keyboard login?).

i run 2 such systems now and am deploying a 3rd, all running
4-port NICs for network monitoring/firewalling.

In my case i have a 5th network interface on my internal
networks for management, but if security was THAT much of
an issue i could shut the interface off.

i just can't see a good use for such a firewall in runlevel 0.

nate