Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:51:01 -0400
From:      "Chess Griffin" <chessg@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xfce 4.4 and Thunar automounting of USB stick

Hello!  My first post to the list.  :)

I have FreeBSD 6.2 installed and running wonderfully.  I have built
Xfce 4.4from ports and it too, is working very well, but I have one
problem -- the
new Thunar file manager does not auto-mount USB sticks.

I know there is the traditional way of allowing users to mount usb per the
handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/usb-disks.html

and that actually works fine for me.  However, Thunar (the new Xfce file
manager) has the capability to automount devices and it's not working.

I have installed Hal, Dbus, and polkit and have those 3 things enabled in my
/etc/rc.conf.  I also installed thunar and the thunar-volman plugin.
However, when I go to the "Advanced" tab in the File Manager settings
manager in order to activate the auto-mounting, it states "Build thunar-vfs
with HAL support to use the volume management support in Thunar."  When I
built Thunar I did enable Hal support, and I can't find anything in ports or
packages about thunar-vfs.

partial output of /etc/rc.conf:
dbus_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"

in /etc/sysctl.conf I put:
vfs.usermount=1

and in /etc/devfs.rules I have:
[localrules=1]
add path 'da*' mode 0660 group operator

I can mount a usb stick as my normal user without issues.  It's just the
automount feature in Thunar that is not working.

If anyone has a fix or other suggestions I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Chess Griffin