Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:01:40 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

Len Conrad wrote:

> >Completely opaque configuration, no useful documentation.  I still
> >wonder exactly how this program has such a great reputation, given what
> >an obstinate bitch it is to make it do something useful.
>
> ??? I chose postfix for my IMGate project (FreeBSD mail hub in front
> of Ipswitch Imail for NT) because it was so easy to configure (vs
> qmail and sendmail), and based on the success of bunches of NT GUI
> jockeys (basically zilch *nix backgnd) who have gotten postfix
> working with little or no help, I chose right and your opinion is
> 180° out from my experience.

With a bit of help from Chris Watson, I've found that the problem that
has been driving me crazy is the confluence of two conflicting
configuration settings and neither postfix itself nor postconf reporting
that they conflict.  I haven't yet found anything in the documentation
that mentions specifically that they conflict either, perhaps I'm the
first person on the entire planet who actually tried both at the same
time.

I'll submit a bug report at least, postconf really should report them as
a conflict.

And, for anyone else who wants to try this at home, comment out the
virtual_maps setting unless you actually have entries in the virtual
file, and specify either mail_spool_directory OR home_mailbox, lest
ye not be able to find your mail (with both hands).

As for my comments about the documentation:

	bash-2.04# pwd
	/usr/local/share/doc/postfix
	bash-2.04# !gr
	grep -i mail_spool_directory *