Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 22:30:40 +0200
From:      "Brossin Pierrick" <pbrossin@wxp.homeip.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Server and Gateway

Sorry for cross-posting but I saw afterwards that I've send my message on
the wrong mailing list..

-----------

Hi,

I don't know if you guys know SME (www.e-smith.org).
If not, it's a RedHat/Linux distro that does server and gateway (with
firewall mail http .....)
I'd like to the same with FreeBSD for my local network.
I read those two howtos:

http://www.schlacter.net:8500/public/FreeBSD-STABLE_and_IPFILTER.html
http://www.muine.org/~hoang/freenat.html

I'm a little bit confused now.. :/

I'd like/need (for the beginning) at least (I think) a firewall, adsl
connection (pppoe) and NAT..
I read the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html
But it's telling :

Add the following to your /etc/rc.conf file:

    ppp_enable="YES"
    ppp_mode="ddial"
    ppp_nat="YES"   # if you want to enable nat for your local network,
otherwise NO
    ppp_profile="name_of_service_provider"

So why are the two other howtos treating (as I understand) ip masquerading
with IPFilter.

As you may see, I'm really confused with IPFilter NAT IP Masquerading ....
Can someone take the time to explain or give the url of a page please.. I
can't find any ?

Regards,

Pierrick