Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2016 14:31:02 -0500
From:      Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: An idea

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raptor Engineeringing Sales <sales@raptorengineeringinc.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: An idea
To: Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com>

On 02/10/2016 01:19 PM, Joe Nosay wrote:
> Provide the buyers with a graphics and sound card.
> Examples of sound card with
> memory. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mu_20K#Third_party or AMD True
> Audio.
> Also two graphics cards, with the second for complex formulas, i.e. NUMA
> et al.
>
> Many thanks.

This is something we would definitely like to be able to do, and we are
working on the best way to balance the need for GPU performance with the
requirement that the workstation ship without requiring closed source
firmware blobs.

As of this writing, the best way to handle the GPU situation appears to
be to simply ensure that the ppc64el variants of Linux support both
current AMD and nVidia cards < NVE0 (Kepler and below).  nVidia has
decided to prevent the use of Maxwell and above on non-x86/ARM systems
by requiring signed firmware that cannot be used with the nouveau
driver.  The user can then decide which features are most important and
select a graphics card from the supported list to purchase separately.

The same issues do not exist with many high quality, modern sound cards,
and therefore it may be possible to bundle an appropriate card with the
Talos=E2=84=A2 workstation board.

Thank you for your interest in the Talos=E2=84=A2 Secure Workstation, and b=
sure to let anyone else know who might be interested!

--
Raptor Engineering Sales
Phone: +1 (512) 690-0200