Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 22:46:48 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Khairuddin Abdul Ghani <abdulgha@usc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: assigning two C IP blocks to one machine

Khairuddin Abdul Ghani wrote:

> Hello. I currently have two blocks of IPs to be used on a single machine,
> but I can't seem to get the new block working.
>
> I have old IPs a.a.a.2 assigned and a.a.a.3-a.a.a.254 aliased with a.a.a.1
> as "defaultrouter" and broadcast IP of a.a.a.255.
>
> I added aliases for the new block b.b.b.2-b.b.b.254, but they don't work.

	This is far from my area of expertise, but my understanding is that for
new network blocks you need to add the first address as a regular
address (b.b.b.2 netmask 255.255.255.0) without the alias. Then add the
remaining addresses in that block as aliases to it (b.b.b.3 netmask
255.255.255.255 alias). The definition of "new network block" will be
dependent on how the first block is defined.

> Am I missing something, some setting in rc.conf perhaps? Thanks, as this is
> my first post, I hope it's technical enough to be here.

	Not to worry. This list is for all questions related to FreeBSD. The
only time you will run into problems is if you ask a question that is
covered by the handbook or in the mail archives. Get in the habit of
checking them first.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire