Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 08:14:01 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw@wwwi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trap 12/supervisor read, page not present

>Here is my kernel configuration:

>cpu             "I386_CPU"
>cpu             "I486_CPU"

You don't need these unless you plan to boot the same kernel on an i386 or i486.

>options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation

You don't need this unless you plan to boot this kernel on a machine
that doesn't have an FP unit.

>options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce
buffer

You don't need this unless you plan to boot this kernel on a machine
with an ISA DMA controller.

>controller      ahc0
>controller      ahc1

You only need one of these.  One ahc entry will attach to as many cards
as it can find in your system.

>Basically I stripped everything I didn't need in the hopes
>of expurgating the problem.

Not quite everything.

>An issue with the 2940W?  I did have to disable wide
>transfers on the wide drive and sync negotiation for both (not sure
>which fixed it) to make the narrow drive stop rebooting the SCSI bus
>on every drive access, but that was a dozen sups and kernels ago,
>haven't had time to play with it since.

Please confirm that you no longer need to disable wide negotiation or
lower the sync rate with the latest driver.  This should be fixed.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations