Date:      Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:57:26 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lang/guile build fails for me

on 01/06/2011 16:19 Christoph Moench-Tegeder said the following:
> Ah, yes, LDFLAGS. The port's Makefile already has
> LDFLAGS="-L${LOCALBASE}/lib" in $CONFIGURE_ENV, and as guile's configure

BTW, I think that CONFIGURE_ENV in the port's Makefile better be set with +=, for
safety.

> is a standard autoconf configure, $LDFLAGS should be picked up (the
> output of "./configure --help" supports this), but... well, it isn't.

Looks like LDFLAGS are lost from the environment before configure is run:
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=set
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value=' -rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib'

And given the USE_NCURSES workaround posted in this thread, that takes to
Mk/bsd.ncurses.mk where we have:
NCURSES_LDFLAGS+=       -rpath=${NCURSESRPATH}

.if defined(LDFLAGS)
LDFLAGS+=${NCURSES_LDFLAGS}
.else
LDFLAGS=${NCURSES_LDFLAGS}
.endif

CONFIGURE_ENV+=         LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}"

I think that the above line overrides whatever is set in the port's Makefile.

--
Andriy Gapon