Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:42:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "James E. Housley" <housley@pr-comm.com>
Subject:   Re: Crash installing over a lp network

"James E. Housley" <housley@pr-comm.com> wrote:

> Some time after Dec 4 I started geting page fauls when installing a new
> system to my laptop via the lp interface.  It usually makes it through
> include but not always.  The last one failed the AM with src-2.2.0548
> patches.  This is the screen:
>
> fault trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> fault virtual address   = 0x10
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf012c325

> What is my next step?

Well, posting the entire config file wasn't that useful (in particular
posting all the commented out lines).  What's really important is:

nm /kernel | sort | more -e

....and lookup the symbol that's next before address 0xf012c325.  This
tells you the function it was crashing in.  Fault VA 0x10 looks like
dereferencing a structure member where the struct pointer is a null
pointer.

Please, see also the handbook's section about kernel debugging.

--
cheers, J"org