Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 20:10:14 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: pppoe

[ the question is OT for -isdn, but the answer is mostly for
the record :) ]

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 14:34 +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Anyone using T-DSL under FreeBSD yet?
> [ ... ]
> I also have learnt that I need pppoe (PPP over Ethernet). Does anyone know
> if that's working under FreeBSD?

Yes, I'm using FreeBSD to connect to T-Online via T-DSL.  And
PPPoE support has been in FreeBSD's ppp(8) since 3.4.  Although
there are some things to watch out for:

----- `uname -a` ------------------------------------------------
FreeBSD dura.gsinet.sittig.org 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #1: Sun Jun  3 12:01:49 CEST 2001     root@dura.gsinet.sittig.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DURA  i386

----- /etc/ppp/ppp.conf -----------------------------------------
# totally written anew, based on www.freebsd.de/handbook/pppoe.html
# and the /usr/share/examples/ppp files

# to avoid a warning
default:
  allow users admin
  set device /dev/cuaa1
  set server /var/run/ppp.server "" 0007
  set log Phase
  set log +tun +command
# set log +xxx ...

# T-ISDN dsl in general
tisdndsl:
  load default
  set device PPPoE:rl1
  set server /var/run/ppp.tisdndsl "" 0007
  mv tdsllink
  set mru 1492
  set mtu 1492
  set dial
  set login
  set hangup
  set ifaddr 10.0.1.1/0 10.0.1.2/0 255.255.255.252 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR
  !bg /sbin/ipf -y
  set timeout 60 110
# set filter dial ...
# set filter alive ...

# T-Online speed in special
tolspeed:
  load tisdndsl
  set authname "nnnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNNN#nnnn@t-online.de"
  set authkey "xxxxxxxx"

----- E O F -----------------------------------------------------

I introduced the sections to easier add more dialup accounts
while reducing redundancy (before DSL I had several ISDN dialup
connections).  Maybe you want to think of them like you think of
OO programming?  Notice that all you have to do for your 1&1
setup is to add another section "derived" from tisdndsl and set
your authname and authkey (and of course pass this account's name
to ppp upon startup).

# ----- /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup -------------------------------------

tolspeed:
  iface clear
  !bg /bin/sh -c "echo '...' > /dev/speaker"
  !bg /usr/bin/logger -t I4B-subsys "tol speed went up"
  !bg /root/bin/onlinetime tolspeed up

# ----- E O F ---------------------------------------------------

# ----- /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown -----------------------------------

tolspeed:
  set ifaddr 10.0.1.1/0 10.0.1.2/0
  iface clear
  !bg /bin/sh -c "echo '...' > /dev/speaker"
  !bg /usr/bin/logger -t I4B-subsys "tol speed went down"
  !bg /root/bin/onlinetime tolspeed down

# ----- E O F ---------------------------------------------------

$ grep ppp /etc/rc.conf
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="auto"
ppp_nat="YES"
ppp_profile="tolspeed"

You want to read the ppp(8) manpage (no matter if you use my
config as a template), doing "man -k pppoe" and looking at the
"SEE ALSO" section had saved you from asking your question in
the first place.  And you might have asked the handbook first
before bothering public lists.  Things to tune further are the
dial/alive filter rules, timeouts, maybe NAT mode but definitely
log categories.  Maybe you need some "ipf -y" in your
/etc/ppp/ppp.link{up,down} scripts (see the recent discussion
about this in the freebsd- mailing lists).

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net