Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 02:30:44 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?k=20s?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Install hassles with X 4.x for intel on board video

Hi FBSD folks,
I am relatively new to FBSDUnix.
I have an Intel 810E motherboard with celeron 433
IntelPro 100 Nic
IDE 2 Gb
KTX 14" monitor etc etc.
I have the 4.2 Disk set (just arrived and wish to
install it with X windows (I have never before been
successful installing X on 2.x and 3.x and gave up!
I ma about to give up again...I hope not
sysinstall wants to install X11 333 or similar
version.
It doesn't support my video card I810. I was told to
get X 4.x via ftp and install that. It supports my
card. Yep it does but I am stumped. Many and various
install problems.
Problem A:
I found the X 4.1 in packages on my CD 4 disk in the
set!
So I figured I'd use sysinstall and install the
packages xserver.tgz etc.
It was working but Xaoutlibs.tgz (I think) and
xserver.tgz hang at "waiting for pkg_add"
It seems to unpack but then dies!
I therefor can't continue...tgz on cd corrupt??????or
what!?
Problem B:
I then tried going to ftp and downloading the XFREE86
.tgz files and extract and xinstall.sh etc from the
/pub/Xfree86/4.0.2/binaries/FreeBSD-4.x directory
Took a while to download...
followed instructios to run xinstall
and it ran but erred on some of the obligatory file
unpacks etc etc... Couldn.t then run x86cfg
or XFREE86 -configure
So did x86config and did the biz.
tried to do a startx and ...nothing but "no such"
errors etc.
HELP!
Signed dateless and desperate
Alias Keith Spencer