Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:40:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering FreeBSD

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:

PW>> > That's acceleration not velocity :-)
PW>> >
PW>> > The terminal velocity of a PC case is probably a lot lower than the
PW>> > velocity of an outer edge of a 10000 RPM drive.
PW>> >
PW>> What am I doing wrong? Given a diameter of appr. 7cm, I'd come at appr
PW>> 0.7Mach. Does that mean that within a few years my machine will go
PW>> KABOOM when booting?
PW>
PW>I have a 15K rpm drive if you want to do a recalculation.  I think that
PW>is 1.05Mach, depending on whether you rounded or not. ;-)

Well, 7cm gives 21cm per rotation or 2.1km for 10000 rotations. 10000
Rotations Per Minute give around 130km per hour which is somewhere around
0.1MACH. So I expect not problems until the drives reach 50000 rpm :-)

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
              brandt@fokus.gmd.de, harti@begemot.org, lhbrandt@mail.ru