Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:21:50 +0100
From:      Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switch from legacy to UEFI boot??

Am 04.02.2016 um 15:03 schrieb Trond Endrestøl:
> As of r294999, stable/10's boot1.efi and loader.efi is able to boot
> ZFS. Both boot1.efi and loader.efi takes the bootfs property into
> consideration. Finally we can use the familiar loader menu, and not
> something I last saw when I used FreeBSD 4. If you use BE's, then the
> loader.efi boot menu lets you select which BE to boot from. It's a
> dream come true. I was able to scrap the 4 GiB UFS partition I
> previously used for storing /boot.

i just tested the loader.efi from base.txz from:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/10.3-PRERELEASE/

it does not boot. It seems that the new version is there not included.

I tried with the loader.efi from base.txz from:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/11.0-CURRENT/

it boots fine.
If I use beadm for my ZFS I expect that I have to manually edit the
loader.rc from the efi partition to load the correct environment or?

Thanks for this tip!

Gruß
Matthias

Rich Cook