Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:17:42 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any work around for this FreeBSD bug/DoS  ?

At 10:27 PM 8/16/99 -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>:Thanks for the quick response Matt. But to what value, and what are the
>:implications / trade offs ?  Sorry, was this discussed before somewhere ? I
>:didnt see any followup in stable where I originally saw it posted. Doing a
>:search in Dejanews through the mailing lists, I only see three old
>:references to this particular param from 6 months ago.
>:
>:	---Mike
>
>    Well, the problem you are trying to avoid is allowing the user to
>    over-allocate network mbufs for sockets.  It will be a combination of
>    the maximum buffer size allowed for sockets x 2 ( there are separate
>    read and write buffers ) and the maximum number of descriptors the user
>    can allocate.  In addition to that sysctl you need to look at the
>    'maxproc' and 'descriptors' resource limits in /etc/login.conf, which
>    can be set differently depending on the user id or user class (a field
>    in the password file, see 'man 5 passwd').
>
>    So, for example, if you limit normal users to 30 processes and 40
>    file descriptors per process you wind up with a maximum of 1200 open
>    descriptors.  If you limit the socket buffer to 16384, that's 32K
>    per descriptor and around 38MB of ram.  The system would have to be
>    configured with a sufficient number of network mbufs such that a single
>    user allocating 38MB of ram does not run the system out.  It is possible
>    to adjust the number of mbuf clusters in the kernel config using the
>    NMBCLUSTERS options (see /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT).  I think each
>    cluster represents either 8K or 16K.  I forget.

Thanks for the extended info.  What I am suprised at is that even with
MAXUSERS  set to 128, I have to use something as restrictive as

dialu:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K:\
        :path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin:\
        :nologin=/var/run/nologin:\
        :cputime=unlimited:\
        :datasize=unlimited:\
        :stacksize=unlimited:\
        :memorylocked-cur=10M:\
        :memoryuse-max=30M:\
        :maxproc-cur=9:\
        :maxproc-max=15:\
        :openfiles-max=16:\
        :filesize=unlimited:\
        :coredumpsize=unlimited:\
        :priority=0:\
        :ignoretime@:\
        :umask=022:

It seems anything above 16 files open (e.g. 32), and they are able to panic
the system.

>    There are many ways a user can crash the system... eating network mbufs
>    isn't the easiest.  My experience is that as long as you cover most of
>    the bases, the few that remain will not cause enough of a problem to
>    become endemic.  Crashing a machine through a user account is not
>    really satisfactory to most hackers since it is so easy to do -- and
>    also relatively easy to trace.

Well, hackers are one thing, but script kiddies are another.  They like to
try these sorts of things :-(  Sort of 'pissing in the global village well'
as my friend says... No real point to it, they just like to cause damage :-(

	---Mike