Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:23:19 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Stack trace routine for running programs

Does anyone know of a way to do a stack dump (trace) of a running
program while *NOT* in the debugger.  We are trying to debug a program
that behaves very differently when it is running under the debugger, and
being able to see a call stack would be very helpful.  We have some code
to do it on a 68020 HP box, but it's pretty convoluted and full of
un-commented MAGIC #'s, so I'd rather not start from there.

I could reverse engineer things by looking at the assembled output from
the compiler, but if there already exists code that is easy to use I'd
be much happier than that.  I looked through gdb, but it's so large and
I know so little about the layout that I didn't even know where to look.

Oh, the stack trace we need is on SCO-x86 and Sparc boxes.  The SCO code
would be preferrable, but if someone could point me in the right
direction I think I could get it running on both with a good push to
some code fragments.

Thanks!

Nate