Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 22:08:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 11:05:35PM -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> >
> > It's not the CPU as much as it is the HD. The process is very I/O bound.
> > So much for $0.08/gig mass storage :-)
>
> Have you seen the thru-put these days of UDMA/66 drives?  A 25gig UDMA/66
> drive is only $200US.  I still maintain that judging CTM capacity based
> on an ancient P5-166 with out DMA IDE is ridiculous.

David and Richard, both of you, will you *please* stop referring to ctm as
part of the problem?  It's running FINE.  Pick on something else if you
really need a target.  How about, uhh, bento's build scripts (oh, god, now
I got Billf on my case :-)

Honestly, we are getting a free machine and free web from Ulf Zimmerman,
and it's perfectly ok.  I will be really upset at someone if runaway mouth
makes certain folks think they are unappreciated ...

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.