Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:57:18 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
Cc:        "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Intel NICs...

In message <3A6C257A.140E27C2@abacus.co.uk> Antony T Curtis writes:
: "Paul A. Howes" wrote:
: >
: > All-
: >
: > I know FreeBSD has great support for the Intel EtherExpress Pro 10 and 100B
: > series cards.  I was just checking Intel's web site, and they seem to have
: > phased out the 100B in favor of a 100S, which incorporates harware-based
: > encryption, and a "new-and-improved" version of the chip, dubbed the
: > "82550".  Are our drivers still compatible with the new card?  Also, can our
: > drivers take advantage of the encryption?
:
: ROTFL! Isn't the 82550A UART chips for serial comms?
: Nothing like a bit of chip numbering to confuse everyone.

The 8250 is an ancient UART chip.  It begat the 16450 (becayuse 82*2
is 164 and 50 means uart :-).  Which begat the 16550, the 16650, the
16750 and I think the 16850.  Plus clones, knock offs, macro cells,
and the whole nine yards of imitation.

Warner