Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:02:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      iio7@tutanota.com
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is ZFS native encryption safe to use?

There seems to be a bit of open (and rather old) ZFS native encryption
bugs which still haven't been fixed and it doesn't look like it is
something that is being working on.

Last night I was going to move some important files from an unencrypted
dataset to a new encrypted (ZFS native) one, but then got my doubts
about doing that (looking at all the different open GitHub issues on
OpenZFS).

There exist some rumors about the original company which did the ZFS
 native encryption work (the person doing the work left the company),
 and they haven't done more since.

What is the general experience running with ZFS native encryption on
FreeBSD? Is it better to use GELI for the whole pool instead?

Thanks.

Kind regards.