Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:07:22 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        Zceth@broadpark.no, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking permissions on Windows 2000 (Server Edition)

>Hi.
>
>My school uses Windows 2000 on their workstations. Believe me I've tried
>converting them to UNIX. But the sysadmin is a jerk, something he'll always
>be.

Is he a jerk because he doesn't want to use Un*x, or for other reasons? He
may very well have good reasons to use Windows, such as politics, or the
fact that Windows is already there and working, or possibly that it has
needed applications that Unix does not.

>Is it possible breaking my user permissions so that I can execute PuTTY.exe
>and
>finally get things going?

Of course. It would depend on a great number of factors. I would recommend
leaning the Win32 API, learning all layers of TCP/IP well and learning how
to create a variety of packets from scratch, and doing a great deal of
research on the network.
It would of course be a much better idea to comply with the rules that have
been set by the owners of the computers and the administrator, as doing
otherwise could lead to some unpleasant consequences.
I know that the above isn't a very 'cool' thing to suggest, but is it really
that important? If so, use some hackerly social engineering skills and have
Putty made an official network application for use as an educational tool.
Or something.

>I know I'm asking for advices on 'how to hack' Windows. But since you all
>hate
>Windows, and you've all devoted your lifes fully and truely to the use of
>BSD
>UNIX, I'm hoping the replies on this e-mail will be positive.

I wouldn't say that we "all hate Windows." That is a rather broad
generalization and a stereotype. I personally feel that Windows (2000) is a
great desktop OS but a horrible server OS. I personally feel that Unix is
far easier to program in and is, in general, a much more competant server
OS--but not quite there in the desktop department. Operating systems are
tools, nothing more.