Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:59:35 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   A more pliable firewall

I am wondering if there is a more dynamic and scriptable
firewall program.  The idea is to send it alerts (with sender
host address) whenever a dns probe fails or ssh login fails
or smtpd finds it has been fed spam or your website is fed
bad urls.  This program will then update the firewall after a
certain number of attempts have been made from a host within
a given period.

Right now, when I find bad guys blasting packets at me, I add
a rule to pf.conf to drop all packets from these hosts but
all this manual editing is getting old and the internet is
getting more and more like the Wild West crossed with the
Attack of the Zombies.