Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2016 15:07:42 +0100
From:      Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Should page allocator zero the pages for UMA?

Hello,

we use the FreeBSD network, USB and SD/MMC card stacks for the real-time=20
operating system RTEMS:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-libbsd

I update currently from FreeBSD 9.3 to head. We use the UMA from FreeBSD=20
with a custom page allocator:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-libbsd/tree/rtemsbsd/rtems/rtems-kernel-page.=

The FreeBSD 9.3 based port worked well with uninitialized pages, e.g.=20
random or previous content. However, after the update to head I had to=20
zero initialize the pages. One issue was an incomplete

struct inpcb {
[...]
     struct    inpcbport *inp_phd;    /* (i/h) head of this list */
#define inp_zero_size offsetof(struct inpcb, inp_gencnt)
     inp_gen_t    inp_gencnt;    /* (c) generation count */
     struct llentry    *inp_lle;    /* cached L2 information */
     struct rwlock    inp_lock;
     rt_gen_t    inp_rt_cookie;    /* generation for route entry */
     union {                /* cached L3 information */
         struct route inpu_route;
         struct route_in6 inpu_route6;
     } inp_rtu;
#define inp_route inp_rtu.inpu_route
#define inp_route6 inp_rtu.inpu_route6
};

initialization. The initialization consists of two parts:

static int
udp_inpcb_init(void *mem, int size, int flags)
{
     struct inpcb *inp;

     inp =3D mem;
     INP_LOCK_INIT(inp, "inp", "udpinp");
     return (0);
}

/*
  * Allocate a PCB and associate it with the socket.
  * On success return with the PCB locked.
  */
int
in_pcballoc(struct socket *so, struct inpcbinfo *pcbinfo)
{
     struct inpcb *inp;
     int error;

#ifdef INVARIANTS
     if (pcbinfo =3D=3D &V_tcbinfo) {
         INP_INFO_RLOCK_ASSERT(pcbinfo);
     } else {
         INP_INFO_WLOCK_ASSERT(pcbinfo);
     }
#endif

     error =3D 0;
     inp =3D uma_zalloc(pcbinfo->ipi_zone, M_NOWAIT);
     if (inp =3D=3D NULL)
         return (ENOBUFS);
     bzero(inp, inp_zero_size);
     inp->inp_pcbinfo =3D pcbinfo;
     inp->inp_socket =3D so;
     inp->inp_cred =3D crhold(so->so_cred);
     inp->inp_inc.inc_fibnum =3D so->so_fibnum;
[...]

This lets at least inp_route uninitialized leading to a crash during=20
destruction, e.g.

     if (inp->inp_route.ro_rt) {
         RTFREE(inp->inp_route.ro_rt);
         inp->inp_route.ro_rt =3D (struct rtentry *)NULL;
     }

uses uninitialized data.

Did something in the page allocator change between FreeBSD 9.3 and=20
trunk, so that page are now zero initialized or is this a bug in=20
udp_inpcb_init()?

--=20
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de

Diese Nachricht ist keine gesch=C3=A4ftliche Mitteilung im Sinne des EHUG=
.