Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:44:20 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, Michael Petry <petry@netwolf.NetMasters.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes for Audio control on the bt848 code

> 1. I see the tuner code being separated by a minor device .

Yea!

> 2. Will try to turn bt848 into a loadable module. Just posted to hackers
>    on whether we can allocate a large contiguous memory segment at runtime
>    and it looks like it may be possible most of the times . You will have
>    to be running 3.0-current for this method to work. Worst possible
>    scenario is that it may require a single reboot and load the module
>    as one  the first things that the kernel does when is up.

At least for the Bt848 class cards, continguous memory isn't strictly
required.  From what I could tell reading the data sheet, you should
easily be able to do scatter DMA to multiple pages when you build the
RISC program.  Once you've got that working, you ought to then be
able to accomodate any old buffer that the user specifies, perhaps even
specified with a uio struct.

> 3. Maybe a motif client . I have not tried this out yet however it
>    looks promising:

Ick, in my opinion.  Then we gotta come up with Motif libraries, etc.
I think this kind of applicate really cries out for a Tk implementation.
But I'm wierd that way :-)  I certainly don't want to discourage anyone
from writing new and cool code.

louie