Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2015 18:34:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        =?utf-8?B?TcOkcms=?= Owen <markowen2206@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS "mount system call failed"

Mark Owen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 10.1 to share a ZFS pool (mounted at
> /media/storage)
> through NFS to Linux clients (Debian 7). I don't seem to get any
> errors
> when the nfs services start on FreeBSD but I can't mount the shares
> on
> the clients, all I get is: mount.nfs4: mount system call failed
> (Tried
> as NFSv3 and NFSv4, same result).
>
> I'm really frustrated here since It worked barely an hour ago and I
> have absolutely no idea why I getting this error now.

Well, here's a couple of comments:
1 - Look in /var/log/messages for any errors generated by mountd or nfsd
    on the FreeBSD server.
2 - Make sure the daemons (mountd and nfsd) are running, via "ps axHl".
3 - It appears you have exported the file system "read-only", but are
    trying to mount it read/write. (I'm not sure this would produce an
    error at mount time or just if/when the client tries to write to
    the file server?)
4 - If nothing above helps, use "tcpdump -s 0 -w xxx.pcap host <client.host>"
    on the server to capture packets during a mount attempt and then look at
    xxx.pcap in wireshark (since it understands NFS). This will show you what
    interaction is going on between client<->server and may give you the hint
    as to what is broken.

rick