Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 23:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Meir Dukhan <meir@bis.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird last(1) output after installing wu-ftpd

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Meir Dukhan wrote:

> > > However, on the FreeBSD boxes I get a junk last(1) output (see below),
> > > with a lot of  "still login in" connections, which is totally wrong
> > > (tested with netstat). Also, the last(1) output on the Linux box is ok.
> >
> > You mixed a -CURRENT binary with a -STABLE system.  -CURRENT has long
> > usernames and -STABLE does not, and since the fields in wtmp are
> > fixed-length, it scribbled all over it.
>
> Thanks for the info, but how do I fix it and what -CURRENT and -STABLE means
> ? Are you saying that my systems (2.1.6 and 2.2.2) are 'stable',
> but the wu-ftpd version I installed is 'current' ? How can I check these
> tags -CURRENT and -STABLE ? I tried various flags of pkg_info and see no
> such tags.

2.2.x releases are -STABLE, and the coming 3.0 series is -CURRENT.  In a
nutshell, the -STABLE branch reflects code that has be well tested in
practice and is `stable' to release to the wide world, while -CURRENT is
the current bleeding edge.  Often the branches will diverge on certain
features, and the long filename changes are one such feature.

You'll know if you're running -CURRENT since you have to build it directly
from source or from a 3.0-SNAPSHOT.  There are futher details on the
branch system in the Handbook and FAQ.

I'm guessing that yes, the version of wu-ftpd you installed was built on a
-CURRENT system.  Did you install it as a package from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org?  To fix it, either make sure you grab the packages
from the packages-2.2.6 directory on the FTP site or build the wu-ftpd
port.