Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:16:16 -0600
From:      rloef@interfold.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't get the faster of two modems to work with 4.8

I am having this problem in a new install of 4.8. One, a us robotics
courier v everything (56k), will dial out, talk to my isp but never
settle on a connection; it just emits a steady tone. The second, a hayes
accura 288 v.34+FAX, works fine. Both of these modems work fine on a
slackware 9.1 box. The courier exhibits the same behavior with 4.7. I
don't want to pull down ports at 28.8kb so I'd like to get the courier
working. Is this an init string thing? I haven't touched anything in
ppp.conf except the obvious three (and cuaa0), and resolv.conf is
correct, after all, the hayes works. I'd appreciate any pointers here
before I start mucking around with the configs.

thanks,

rl