Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:19:26 +0200
From:      Christoph Schug <chris+freebsd-proliant@schug.net>
To:        Kai Gallasch <gallasch@free.de>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Smart Array 6i and FreeBSD 6.1

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006, Kai Gallasch wrote:

> userland software for the smart array 6i:
>
> I heard that there is a userland binary for the smart array 6i available
> from HP which is said to work with FreeBSD (Linux emulation).
> Where do I find this Linux package? (RPM?) I searched HP but cannot find
>  the stuff.

I guess you're talking about the tools at [1]. AFAIK those tools do not
work on recent FreeBSD releases but I may be wrong. OTOH any important
status change in the RAID set is reported by the ciss(4) driver.
Monitoring /var/log/messages might to the job. I posted this some weeks
ago to the list [2], so you can get some impression if this is good
enough for your requirements.

> environmental monitoring:
>
> It seems that the mbmon port does not work with the DL385 hardware. How
> can I monitor the server/cpu temperature of the server in a 100% FreeBSD
> environment? Is there a way to make snmp queries to the ilo Interface
> and use an snmp oid that gives back temperature an fanhealth values?

AFAIK you can't. It would be very nice to have hardware monitoring via
iLO. This can be achieved under so called supported platforms, aka
Linux or Windows, where you have to run HP agent software which does
hardware monitoring of the underlying hardware. IMHO a rather weired
approach, seems like HP has solved the chicken-and-egg problem ;) IIRC
the results of the agents are being written in some kind of message
buffer which can be polled by the iLO. Unfortunatelly the iLO doesn't
have any OS independent logic to do all the stuff on its own. I address
this as feature request several times at HP but it seems that one single
customer is not important enough.

> "raid5-angst" - opinions:

I guess this depends on your application. For database applications
RAID5 might result in poor write performance. In such scenaries I prefer
3 RAID1 sets where I'm distributing my table spaces. If you need just
max file capacity with redunandy there are not many alternatives to
a RAID5 set. Speaking for HP's SCSI drives I've never seen two disks
failing at the very same time in the past 5 years. After all they are
quite reliable. Nevertheless, this is no guarantee. But keep in mind, of
both sub-mirrors of a RAID 1/0+1 fail a the same time, the result is the
same.

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2006-July/003602.html

-cs