Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 10:10:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        jjwolf@bleeding.com (Justin Wolf)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stability concerns in latest -STABLEs.

As I recall, Justin Wolf wrote:
> So what have I really said?  1) If something weird happens, don't talk
> about it until you can tell us what it was, 2) If you can't figure it
> out, come to the table with more information than "it rebooted," and
> 3) don't expect a free (and now quite massive) software movement to
> have the same bug fixing attitude as either some guy in Texas making a
> (pretty cool) Windows FTP server or some big company that has a
> marketing image to uphold.

All true.  But not to the point of the question.  As I read it, he
was asking for some sense of how solid -STABLE was, not complaining
about support.

I too have been reading all the "my machine has been mysteriously
locking up/rebooting/farting ever since I upgraded to 3.xx from
2.xx" messages.  They're the source of his discomfort, I believe.

I've been running production (meaning revenue generating) FreeBSD
systems since 2.1.5.  One is still at 2.1-STABLE, the rest are at
2.2-STABLE.  All are rock solid.  None have ever crashed.

2.2 does all I need done.  I'm a trailing-edge kinda guy when money
is directly involved.  So, if someone were to ask me what they
should put up if their own butt was backing the uptime numbers, I'd
say, "Unless you need SMP, go with 2.2-STABLE."

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net