Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 18:31:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Studded@san.rr.com (Studded)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, archie@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daylight Savings Time - bug

> 	Like so much else in the unix world, it expects the operator to be
> smarter than it is. :) There are a couple of us who are working on some
> proposals for Paul Vixie along the following lines.
>
> 15 2S * * * /job
> 	Would run the job in standard time all year round, ignoring DST
> 15 2U * * * /job
> 	Runs the job in UTC time.

[ ... ]

> Comments?

I think people put cron jobs at the times they do for two reasons:

1)	They want the job to run when it is unlikely to impact
	users

2)	The want the job to run so that it's done before some set
	time based on an estimation of how long the run will be.

Neither of these are really served by the proposed changes.

On the other hand, if you were to "instantaneously" advance the
clock through the hour, and were to hold the clock for one hour
through the overlap, you would address these.

For things that run on one hour (or less) intervals, they would
ignore the change (effectively, your UTC option).

The remaining problem is order of operation of connected tasks,
and implying the connectivity by order of scheduling in cron.

This is a programming error; it's a job for a shell script, not
two or more cron entries.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---