Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:20:34 -0800
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multi-level categories

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 01:58:18AM -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> And here's my proposal, slightly revised.

I like this proposal, although I would make the following suggetion:

Make COMMENT the first line of DESCR.  It is anyhow in about 40% of the
ports, and it means that there is only one file like this to maintain.
It's pretty easy to 'head -n 1 DESCR'.  This would save 3069 files.

I like the pkg-DESCR naming scheme.

> The only remaining big issue is whether to move all patches to the
> main level or not.  I'd hate to have to look at lang/pm3-base if that
> happens, but it will reduce the directory count by almost another
> 2,000....

There's at least one very good reason not to do this.  security/pgp.
Sometimes you need two patch sets.  And although I don't think we have
any patches.i386 and patches.alpha yet, they'll come...

I think that having support for more than one patches dir might be nice
(especially for ports using MASTERDIR).

I would like to see the recommendation about one file per patch lifted.
In my experience it makes ports more difficult to maintain, although
that might just be the way that I work, judging from others comments.

Attached are some simple little scripts I use...

I don't think arguements about doing one 'thing' per patch are valid,
since the requirement that you have one patch per file often precludes
this.  Also, arguements about removing a file when the patch is not
needed are bogus, since it's just as easy to delete lines from a file,
and it saves on CVS space.

Having one patch per file makes it more difficult to determine if a file
is already being patched, and also makes comparing patches on two ports
(like gimp1 and gimp1-i18n) more difficult.  Also, when you need to
patch a file it is difficult to check in the Attic and work out if the
file was patched in the past, and if you should reuse say patch-aa or
get a new name like patch-bq...

I don't think we should force a one patch scheme though.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/