Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 18:41:42 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mb@imp.ch
Subject:   StarOffice 5.2

Hello,

I tried to install StarOffice 5.2 under FreeBSD 3.4 but failed. I need
Russian version, thus existing 5.1a port is not actually interesting.
Would be VERY grateful for any help!

First, I tried just to run their self-extracting archive
(so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-ru.bin) following instructions at
http://www.stat.duke.edu/~sto/StarOffice51a/install.html.
Everything was perfect till the point where unpacking of the files
begins. At that point installer just hung -- no HDD operation, no CPU
load.

I noticed only one strange thing, with the installation directory: when
I run installer for the first time, it referred to /compat/linux as to
/ when offered to choose installation directory. I created symbolic link
to the actual disc I wanted to use for office (it was outside /usr) inside
/compat/linux, but at further attempts installer showed me real / as /
somewhy.

I remember some problem with installer hanging occurred with SO 4.x when I
tried to install it on RedHat 5.x a long ago, but I cannot recollect any
details.

Second, I tried to modify staroffice51a port: changed the name of
distribution, downloaded required files:

astro!ROOT:/usr/ports/editors/staroffice5 >l /usr/ports/distfiles/[al]*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   186945  8 июл 18:07 /usr/ports/distfiles/applicat.rdb.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1011760 15 сен  1999 /usr/ports/distfiles/libofa517li.so
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   939820 25 окт  1999 /usr/ports/distfiles/libsdb517li.so

But when I run

astro!ROOT:/usr/ports/editors/staroffice5 >make PREFIX=/opt/soffice52
>> applicat.rdb.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from http://afug.hypermart.net/files/.

I do not know what to do with it. Has anybody successful experience with
installation of 5.2?

Yours,
Alex