Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 12:18:02 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        peter kok <aoypcc@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: email setting, please teach or give me a hint

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 02:36:30PM +0000, peter kok wrote:
> Hello
>
> I setup DNS server.
> the hostname of machine is 'PC1'
> and my domain is 'abc.com'
>
> I sent email to 'angela' who is a user in same 'PC1'. the email' sender
> displayed is 'peter@pc1.abc.com'
> I want peter@abc.com instead of peter@pc1.abc.com.
> and I am sure setting in db.abc
>
> -- abc.com.  IN  MX    pc1.abc.com.  ------
>
> How do I solve this problem?

It's not a DNS issue. It is an issue with your mailer. I could point
you the right way to get sendmail to do this how you like, but...

> On the other hands, I discover the inetd.conf including following entries:
>
> #pop3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/popper
> popper
> #
> # example entry for the optional imap4 server
> #
> #imap4  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd
> imapd
> #smtp   stream  tcp     nowait  qmaild  /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env  tcp-env
> /var/qm
>
> I want to set up qmail instead of sendmail.

You apparently do not want to use sendmail.

> What do I set up after removing the '#'?

In my /etc/inetd.conf, I have the following note before that last
line,

  # Example entry for the optional qmail MTA
  #  NOTE: This is no longer the correct way to handle incoming SMTP
  #        connections for qmail.  Use tcpserver (http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html)
  #        instead.

Might want to check that out.

I do not use qmail, so I cannot give detailed help in that area,
sorry.