Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:21:00 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg leaking memory on -current...

Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> (from Tue, 31 Oct 2006 =20
08:53:08 +0000):

>> Do you have any long-running clients?  X clients can store objects in
>> the server and some web browsers have been known to simulate Xserver
>> leaks.
>
> It certainly correlates with firefox, but restarting firefox does
> not relieve the memory pressure.

FWIW: On Solaris I also see firefox eating memory. After several days =20
with several open tabs with several pictures in each page (for example =20
BigBrother and similar stuff) it eats up a lot of swap. After closing =20
firefox, it frees some memory (the one firefox itself has eaten up), =20
but not the memory the X server has eaten up. When I closed firefox =20
several times, X has eaten too much and everything (on the desktop) =20
comes to a crawl (more or less). Restarting the X server (xorg BTW) =20
everything is back to normal.

AFAIK it's a know firefox bug which isn't even fixed in firefox 2.0 =20
(despite a lot of requests from users).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20