Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:20:00 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> > > The answer is that, so long as there is an ISA bus in my machine,
> > > I will be paying for it.
> >
> > Bullshit. This is a clear case of why we don't get locked in.
>
> I don't understand this statement; when I buy a PC, do I not pay
> for the ISA card edge connectors and copper cladding on the PC
> board, as well as the resin that makes up the board?
>
> If you can tell me how I can aboid that (point me to a vendor of
> competitively priced machines which omit the bus, please!), then
> let me know.

	You just keep getting more and more ridiculous.

	Look, suppose your motherboard manufacturer made a motherboard with no ISA
slots. This would cut the base cost by some small amount, but it would also
reduce the volume because the potential market would be smaller. So because
those ISA slots are on your motherboard, the volume of the sales of that
motherboard goes up. This reduces the cost of the motherboard, which you
benefit from in the form of lowered prices.

	Imagine if this was not so. If the benefits of doing this (lower cost)
outweighed the costs (lower volume) some manufacturer would make a
motherboard with no ISA slots. Its lower base cost would allow it to corner
the majority of the market. (Unless you want to attribute this too to Bill
Gates' mind control.)

	Now, over time, the cost of the ISA slots has been dropping because there
tend to be fewer and fewer of them, but this cannot keep up forever, you
cannot have less than one slot. The advantages of them are dropping too,
since fewer and fewer people want them or need them. As a result, they
'harm' they can do keeps dropping and dropping, and eventually they will be
overthrown.

	This is an example of the free market triumphing over what could have been
lock in.	All the 'lock in' does is increase the amount of time that
compatability is maintained. And in any event, this is _beneficial_ lock in.
Would you prefer being forced to throw out all your old cards everytime a
better slot standard comes out?

	DS