Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 12:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, murray@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for minor KVM adjustments for the release

:
:David Greenman wrote:
:>
:> >       - I would like to cap the size of the buffer cache at 200MB,
:> >         giving us another 70MB or so of KVM which is equivalent to
:> >         another 30,000 or so nmbclusters.
:>
:>    That also seems like overkill for the vast majority of systems.
:
:But probably not for the large-memory systems (and on the machines
:with small memory the limit will be smaller anyway).
:
:-SB

    I should also say that even in the Linux and Solaris worlds, systems
    with > 4GB of ram wind up being very specific-use systems.  Typically
    such systems are used almost solely to run large databases.  For
    example, so something like Oracle can manage a multi-gigabyte cache.
    These applications do not actually require the memory to be
    swap-backed, or file-backed, or really managed at all.

    In FreeBSD land the use-case would simply be our physical-backed-shared-
    memory feature.  We could implement the 8-byte MMU extensions in the
    PMAP code as a kernrel option to be able to access ram > 4GB without
    having to change anything else in the kernel (not even vm_page_t or
    the pmap supporting structures) *IF* we only use the ram > 4GB in
    physical-backed SysV shared memory mappings.  This would actually
    cover 99% of the needs of people who need to run systems with this much
    ram.

    There are lots of issues on IA32 in regards to memory > 4GB... for
    example, many PCI cards cannot DMA beyond 4GB.  We would avoid these
    issues as well by only using the memory as physical backing store
    for SysV shared memory segments.

						-Matt